WELCOME TO THE FOURTH and final chapter in our “Healthy Smile Timeline” series. Let’s talk about a few special concerns that may crop up once your smile is a little more seasoned—as well as some cosmetic options you may want to consider. If YOU don’t fall into this particular age category, perhaps you care for someone who does. Be sure to share this post with friends and/or loved ones who could benefit from these ideas.
Today, Modern Dentistry Helps People Keep Their Smiles For Life!
During generations past, lost teeth were considered an inevitable consequence of aging. Now we know how to better care for our smiles as they age. With modern advances, you can have a comfortable, healthy smile for life!
Must-Do’s, Ages 65+:
- For the most part, losing your teeth during your golden years has little to do with getting old and almost everything to do with gum disease. It’s common as we age because our immune systems can’t fight off inflammation as easily. Regular checkups and cleanings greatly help protect you from this problem.
- Many medications precipitate dry mouth, a side effect which can hurt your oral health. Keep us up to date on your medications and any medical issues you’re having.
Should-Do’s, Ages 65+:
- Today’s dental implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth! If you’re missing one or more teeth, advanced restorative implants may be the solution.
- If limited mobility is impairing your home care routine, ask any of the Foster Dental Care team members about special tools that can help. We might recommend an electric toothbrush, or even little tweaks to your usual tools—like extending your toothbrush, or attaching a little ball to the bottom to make it easier to grip.
- Boost YOUR self confidence! A recent study indicates that nearly 90% of dental implant patients who previously wore dentures say confidence is up, and the procedure was worth repeating.
Could-Do’s, Ages 65+:
- When it comes to cosmetic and restorative dentistry, it isn’t complicated and there’s very little discomfort. More and more seasoned citizens are keeping their teeth AND beautifying their smiles with cosmetic veneers. You can too.
Be An Example Of Great Oral Health
You’re part of an amazing new generation of people proving that we can all keep great oral health well into our golden years! While our ancestors were subsisting on soup by age 50, we’ll still be eating all our favorite crunchy foods for as long as we want. Show everyone what it means to have a lifetime of great dental health!
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the tips and recommendations above. Our team is always here to help.