The gold standard solution for missing teeth: dental implants in Blue Springs, MO
Dr. Foster and his team at Foster Dental Care in Blue Springs, MO stive to provide our patients with the very best treatment options currently available. That is why we are proud to offer dental implants, which are widely considered the “gold standard” way to replace missing teeth. This versatile treatment can be a great option whether you are missing one tooth, several teeth, or all your teeth.
What are dental implants?
Implants are small posts made of surgical grade titanium. They are surgically placed in the bone to create a solid foundation for specially designed crowns, bridges, or dentures. Because titanium is one of the few materials easily accepted by the human body, the bone attaches itself to the implant surface, holding it firmly in place.
Why is dental implant treatment the gold standard?
There are many types of restorations used to replace missing teeth. However, you may be surprised to learn that most of them do not replace the entire tooth. A natural tooth is much larger than the part that we see, because it extends below the gumline all the way to the bone. The upper (visible) portion of a tooth is called the crown. The lower (hidden) part is called the root.
- Traditional dentures and bridges only replace the crowns of teeth. Without roots, they rely on other teeth or your gums to support them.
- Dental implants replace tooth roots. They are topped with specially designed restorations that replace the crowns. Complete implant treatment is the only procedure that replaces both parts, effectively replicating the anatomy of a natural tooth.
The benefits of dental implants
Why is it so important to replace the root? There are several reasons:
- Teeth transfer bite force to the bone via roots. This stimulates healthy regeneration of new cells. When teeth are missing the bone begins shrinking, a process known as resorption. Implants mimic the action of natural roots, keeping the bone tissue strong and healthy.
- For patients, the most noticeable benefit of implants is their stability. You will not need adhesive, and you will not have to worry about your teeth slipping or sliding around. They will feel and function just like natural teeth. You can eat what you like, speak clearly, and smile with confidence.
- Because implants simply provide the foundation, they are incredibly versatile. We can replace one tooth with a single implant and a crown, or several teeth with a few implants and a special type of bridge. If you need full tooth replacement, implants can support a fixed (permanently attached) or removable full denture.
Are implants right for you?
If you are missing teeth, then the answer is probably, “yes.” We will begin with a consultation and evaluation to ensure that you are healthy enough for minor surgery, and that you have sufficient bone tissue to support implants. Even patients who have experienced some bone loss are usually candidates due to mini-implant technology. However, on rare occasions a bone graft may be needed before implant placement.
Just give us a call at (816) 227-6588 to learn about your options and begin restoring your smile.